Quick guide to the probate home sale process in Florida
Probate is the legal process under which a deceased person's estate is managed. Selling real estate subject to probate court approval sounds complicated, but can be broken down into 6 simple steps:
- Owner of property passes away.
- One or more of the heirs decide to sell the property.
- The heir(s) list the property with a local realtor experienced in the probate process, and enter into a contract with a buyer, subject to probate approval.
- The heir(s) will retain an attorney to handle the probate, if not already in probate.
- Probate transfers the decedent’s title to the heir(s).
- Once probate transfers title to the heirs as the new legal owners, the property can close and the heirs can collect their proceeds at closing.
Need expert assistance with a home you've inherited and wish to sell?
Probate adds an extra layer of hoops to the home sale process. You best bet to a smooth, seamless sale is to make sure you have the right professional assistance.
Last Updated on July 18, 2022 by Minna Reid